Chickpeas are so versatile, they add so much heartiness to a dish without overpowering the taste. They work so nicely in this quinoa salad combined with the veggies and sweetness of the raisins – it also holds up well all week, great for a make-ahead Sunday dish!
I served this with my Curried Carrot Raisin Chicken Salad but it would be wonderful on it’s own with avocado for a light lunch, or with grilled chicken or fish on top. Yum!
Here’s how you make it (8-10 servings):
- Throw 2 cups dry quinoa and 3 cups water in a saucepan, bring to a boil and then reduce to a simmer until all water is absorbed (about 15-20 minutes)
- While the quinoa cooks, mix together 4 cans chickpeas, 1 cup cilantro, 2 bell peppers, 2 avocados, 1 cup red onion and a 1/2 cup raisins – set aside
- Whisk together the juice of 4 limes, 4 tbsp olive oil, 1 tbsp cumin and salt/pepper to taste
- Combine the cooked quinoa with the chickpea mixture and pour the dressing over and combine well before serving cold
It’s so nice having healthy salads like this around the house during the week for a quick snack or to take for lunch at work. You also get a good serving of veggies, always something I’m trying to get more of!
- 2 cups dry quinoa (cooked with 3 cups water)
- 4 cans chickpeas, drained & rinsed
- 1 cup chopped cilantro (coriander if you are in the UK)
- 2 bell peppers, finely diced (I like sweet ones here – red, yellow or orange)
- 2 chopped avocados
- 1 cup chopped red onion
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 4 limes, juiced
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp cumin
- salt/pepper to taste
Let me know what you think of this one, I hope you love it!