Egg bakes just scream BRUNCH, don’t they?? I love them for so many reasons! You can make them in advance, you can’t mess them up, they feed a crowd, work for vegetarians (assuming no meat goes in) and are SO inexpensive with eggs being the main protein source. Have I convinced you yet??
White potatoes are what I normally reach to when I think of brunch food – whether it’s a hash, casserole, side dish – sweet potatoes are now in the brunch rotation and I hope you consider using them too!
What I love most about this specific egg bake is that it can be assembled in 10 minutes – no cooking beforehand, everything goes in raw!
Here’s how you make it (4-6 servings):
- Preheat the oven to 200C/400F
- Finely dice 1 large sweet potato (or 2 small) and throw into the bottom of an 8×8 pan
- Finely dice 2 small bell peppers and throw on top of the sweet potatoes
- Finely dice 1 cup white onion (about 1 large onion) and throw on top of the bell peppers
- Sprinkle 3/4 cup shredded cheese over the onion (I used mozzarella because I had it on hand, but sharp cheddar or pepper jack would be even better!)
- Sprinkle 2 handfuls of kale on top of the cheese
- In a separate bowl, beat together 12 eggs, dash of hot sauce, salt/pepper and a splash of milk (about 1/4 cups)
- Pour egg mixture over veggies/cheese and bake for 50 minutes or until everything is set and golden brown
Serve hot or cold! It would be wonderful with sliced avocado, pico de gallo or salsa, spicy greek yogurt (greek yogurt mixed with hot sauce). Yum!!
- 1 large sweet potato (or 2 small)
- 2 small bell peppers, colors of your choice
- 1 cup white onion (approx. 1 large white onion)
- 3/4 cup shredded cheese (pepper jack, sharp cheddar or mozzarella all work
- 2 handfuls shredded kale leaves
- 12 eggs
- dash of hot sauce (I love Cholula in this)
- 1/4 cup mik of your choice (I used unsweetened almond milk)
Give this one a try the next time you have friends over for brunch – you’ll get a good serving of veggies without noticing it at all and it’s SO filling!