There’s something so comforting about oatmeal on a rainy day – and Monday was one of those as you can see in this picture! Although, I can’t complain – I really needed to do some spring cleaning/organizing and it’s so much easier to do with weather like that!
This is one of my favorite oatmeal recipes – it’s so simple to prepare, so delicious and comforting. Feel free to use frozen blueberries, but fresh would be great during the summer when they are in season – yum!
Here’s how you make it (2 large servings):
- Throw 1 cup porridge oats, 2 cups almond milk, 2 tsp cinnamon and a dash of vanilla in a saucepan over high heat
- While the oatmeal is cooking, mash 1 banana in a bowl and set aside
- Once the oatmeal starts boiling, turn the heat down to low and add in 2 tbsp chia seeds, 1 tbsp maple syrup, 1.5 cups blueberries and the mashed banana. Cook for 5 minutes
- Split between 2 bowls and top each with 1 tbsp chopped walnuts – enjoy!
If you wanted it to to be creamier, stir in greek yogurt once done. Or, if walnuts aren’t your thing you could sub in a different nut or nut butter and it would be just as delicious – pecans or almonds would be lovely!
- 1 cup porridge oats
- 2 cups unsweetened almond milk (or your favorite milk)
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- dash of vanilla
- 2 tbsp chia seeds
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 ripe banana
- 1.5 cups blueberries (fresh or frozen)
- 2 tbsp walnuts (or pecans/almonds or nut butter)
- greek yogurt – optional
I think this will be one of your favorites going forward – I can imagine kids would really like this as well. Let me know what you think!