Pesto is one of those flavors that adds so much to anything it’s added to – a sandwich, salad dressing, pasta salad, pasta – anything! With that said, you don’t need a ton of it to get the flavor across and that’s where the idea came along to bulk it up with greek yogurt!
I decided to use the dressing over a barley vegetable salad, but feel free to use the pesto dressing in other ways too! It would be great as a dip for veggies, spread on a sandwich, mixed into a chicken salad – you name it and it would be delicious!
Here’s how you make the dish (10-12 servings):
- Cook 6 cups of any grain you’d like (barley, farro or wheat berries) – set aside to cool
- Preheat the oven to 200C/400F
- Throw 2 packages of white mushrooms on a baking tray and roast for 25 minutes
- While the mushrooms cook, make the pesto. Throw 2 cups fresh basil leaves, 4 tbsp walnuts, 3 tbsp garlic, 2 tbsp olive oil and salt/pepper in a food processor and process until smooth
- Throw the pesto mixture into a LARGE mixing bowl and add in 2/3 cup greek yogurt and mix well until combined
- Add in 6 cups cooked grains, 2 pints cherry tomatoes, 2 cups sliced red onion, 2 cups packed kale (or spinach) and the roasted mushrooms
- Mix well and serve cold!
You could switch up the veggie add-ins with whatever you like and/or have on hand – it’s definitely not an exact science! I am having this with my lemon honey mustard salmon this week but it would be great with chicken, beef or tuna as well!
Veggie Salad Ingredients:
- 6 cups cooked and cooled grain of your choice (barley, farro or wheat berries – you want something hearty and chewy)
- 2 packages white mushrooms
- 2 pints cherry tomatoes
- 2 cups sliced red onion (approx. 2 onions)
- 2 cups packed kale or spinach
- 2 cups fresh basil leaves
- 4 tbsp walnuts
- 3 tbsp minced garlic
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2/3 cup greek yogurt
I can’t wait for you to try this one and to see how you use the pesto – so many fun ways to try it!