I absolutely love citrus flavors (you are probably already noticing that or will soon!) – they add such nice flavor and brightness and are so easy and cheap to find! I normally just do honey mustard chicken but was getting a bit sick of that combination and decided to do a lemon/orange version – mainly because I had a lot of both on hand. When I went to bake the chicken, I realized all of my baking trays were in the dishwasher – dilemma! I ended up baking them in a mini-loaf tin and it turned out wonderfully, crispier on the edges and self-basted during the entire baking process. I’d highly recommend it!
Here’s how you make it (8 large or 12 small servings):
- Preheat oven to 200C (400F)
- Chop 8 large chicken breasts into 3 pieces each and throw into a large bowl
- Mix together zest and juice of 2 lemons, zest and juice of 1 orange, 1/2 cup olive oil, 2 tbsp oregano, 4 tbsp minced garlic, a heavy dash of salt and 2 tbsp chili flakes
- Pour marinade over chicken and let marinate for at least 15 minutes, ideally 30
- Put entire mixture into baking sheet/pan (or loaf pan!) with leftover oranges/lemons
- Bake for 30 minutes or until cooked through fully (could be closer to 40)
I ate this with my Mediterranean barley salad and it was the perfect combination! It would be good over any grain salad with a side of greens, or chopped up over a green salad OR sliced in a greek wrap (think feta cheese, sun-dried tomatoes, hummus, etc.) – YUM!
- 8 large chicken breasts
- 4 lemons
- 1 orange
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 2 tbsp oregano
- 4 tbsp minced garlic
- 2 tbsp chili flakes
- heavy dash of salt
Let me know what you think – I think this will be one of your favorite go-to chicken dishes going forward!