You have probably noticed that anything I put on the blog is going to be as healthy as I can make it without sacrificing flavor – with that said, I want to set expectations for these muffins! They are delicious, chewy, sweet and tart – but, they are not the sugary, buttery muffins you would get at a bakery. Glad I got that off my chest – now onto the muffins!
I’ve gotten in the habit of making a batch of muffins every week – they are the perfect afternoon snack or light breakfast and are so portable! I decided to switch up the flavors this week with the weather starting to warm up here in London, and really love the outcome and know you will too. The lemon zest adds a burst of flavor and then you get the traditional blueberry muffin taste from the bursting blueberries. YUM!
Here’s how you make them (12 medium-sized muffins):
- Preheat the oven to 180C (375F)
- Mash 5 small bananas (or 4 large) in a large bowl
- Stir in 2 cups oats, 1 cup almond meal, 2 tsp cinnamon, dash vanilla, 1 cup applesauce, 2 tbsp maple syrup, 2 tbsp cashew butter, 1.5 cups blueberries and the zest of 2 lemons – set aside
- Melt 1 tbsp coconut oil and stir it into the mix
- Pour batter into a 12-muffin tin and bake for 40-45 minutes (start checking at 40)
- 5 small bananas (or 4 large)
- 2 cups oats
- 1 cup almond meal (ground almonds would be fine)
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- dash vanilla
- 1 cup applesauce
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 2 tbsp cashew butter
- 1.5 cups blueberries (fresh or frozen)
- zest of 2 lemons
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
I’m so excited for you to try these! If you have any nut allergies in the house, sunflower butter would be a fine substitute for the cashew butter. Also, if you don’t have almond meal you could do one of two things – sub an additional cup oats or grind your own almonds in a food processor. The final product would taste very similar.
I normally eat these with greek yogurt with a little lemon zest grated in to tie the flavors together. It would be great with some additional cashew butter on top – options are endless!
Let me know what you think!