I was in Mexico with my family the first time I ever tried passion fruit. I was immediately hooked and ate about 20 of them every day until we headed back home! My mom tried so hard to find them where we lived in CT but none of the stores sold them at the time. I’m sure that’s different now, but 15 years ago that was the case!
To be honest, they weren’t on my radar to cook with until very recently when I started the blog. I’ve been trying to switch up the fruits each week to get more inventive in the kitchen and show a variety of flavors aside from the main ones that are always staples in my kitchen (bananas, apples, oranges, etc.). It also forces me to try cooking the ingredients in multiple different ways, I hope you are enjoying it as much as I am!
Here’s how you make it (2 large servings):
- Combine 1 cup porridge oats, 2 cups almond milk, 2 tsp cinnamon and a dash of vanilla in a sauce pan over high heat until boiling
- While the oats cook, mash 1 banana in a bowl and add in 1/2 cup of passion fruit seeds/fruit (cut the fruit in half and scoop out seeds, not the white membranes)
- Once the oats are boiling, turn the heat down to low and stir in the fruit mixture along with 2 tbsp shredded coconut, 2 tbsp chia seeds, 1 tbsp maple syrup and 1 tsp grated ginger
- Cook everything together for another 5 minutes, take off the heat and split into 2 bowls and serve!
If you love passion fruit, you’ll love this one – so simple but has such a tropical taste to it. At the same time, if you have never tried passion fruit before this would be a great starter recipe since it’s combined with so many other things. Make sure you try a taste of the fruit by itself, it’s a tad tart but so delicious once you get used to it!
- 1 cup porridge oats
- 2 cups unsweetened almond milk (or milk of your choice)
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- dash vanilla
- 1 ripe banana
- 1/2 cup passion fruit seeds/fruit (about 6 small fruits)
- 2 tbsp unsweetened shredded coconut
- 2 tbsp chia seeds
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp grated ginger
- greek yogurt
- nut butter
- chopped nuts (walnuts or slivered almonds would be wonderful)
I hope you try this one – it’s SO good!!