If you are one of those people that avoids muffins because they are “bad” for you, this recipe will make you think again! What makes a muffin a “muffin” is the shape, that’s really it and as long as they are comprised of healthy ingredients – what’s not to like?!?
You’ll notice that my muffin recipes all tend to start the same way – mashed bananas and oats. It’s such a great healthy base and works well with just about any other fruit flavors you decide to add in. Any of my muffin recipes could be turned into a loaf and would be wonderful served that way instead, you would just need to extend the baking time a bit.
These muffins are so delicious – as I mentioned on Instagram, kiwis were one of my “fruits of the week” and I’ve been using them in so many recipes the past few days. If you normally peel your kiwis, try eating the skin. It doesn’t actually taste like anything and adds in so much fiber that you don’t want to get rid of!
Here’s how you make the muffins (12 muffins):
- Preheat oven to 180C/375F
- Throw 4 kiwis (ends off, skins on) in a food processor and process until an applesauce-like consistency. Set aside
- Finely dice 4 kiwis (ends off, skins on) – set aside
- In a large mixing bowl, mash 4 ripe bananas and add in both kiwi mixtures along with 3 cups oats, 1/2 cup chopped walnuts, 1/4 cup applesauce, 1/2 cup almond milk, 3 tbsp coconut flakes, 2 tbsp chia seeds, dash vanilla and 2 tsp cinnamon. Mix well
- Pour mixture into muffin tin and bake for 40 minutes or until a fork comes out clean
Make sure you let the muffins sit and cool for at least a half hour before you try to remove them from the pan – they need some time to set! Once cool, they’ll keep for about a week in the fridge – they are SO good with nut butter or greek yogurt. You’ll love the crunch of the walnuts and the kiwi flavor in every bite!
- 8 kiwis (ends off, skins on)
- 4 ripe bananas
- 3 cups oats
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk (or milk of your choice)
- 3 tbsp unsweetened coconut flakes
- 2 tbsp chia seeds
- dash vanilla
- 2 tsp cinnamon
Let me know what you think about these – I hope you love them as much as I am!